Thursday, October 27, 2011

Guerrilla Knitting: Hot Tea & Cupcakes

 

Some local examples of street art that is called, variously, knit graffiti, yarn bombing, or guerrilla knitting.

LEFT: Yarn tag from the HOTTEA Project, on 22nd St. near Lyndale Ave.
RIGHT: "Cupcake," Unknown Artist, on 26th St. near Blaisdell Ave.

Yarn artist "Hot Tea" says of his work [click here for full interview]:

"I have always been close with my grandmother and have always had a spiritual connection with her. She taught me how to knit at a very early age. The HOTTEA project’s foundation are my relationships with the people closest to me which is why I began using yarn. 
I pulled from my cherished childhood memories to create the meaning behind the project and was inspired by the medium. I am very shy and non-confrontational which is why I wanted to project to be non-destructive as well to stay out of legal trouble."

Photos: Francesca Davis DiPiazza

No comments: